Glasgow, Edinburgh & The Military Tattoo
with Blue Badge Guide Paul Fisher
Sunday 19th - Thursday 23rd August 2018
5 daysDeposit: £75pp
Travel Insurance: £23.75pp
Single supplement: £159
This holiday, visiting Scotland’s two major cities, will be accompanied by PAUL FISHER, whose knowledge and experience will help to make this a fascinating tour. The highlight will be our visit to The Edinburgh Tattoo. Staged on the esplanade of majestic Edinburgh Castle, this iconic event features music, dance and precision displays with the Massed Pipes and Drums, military bands, cultural troupes, singers, and the poignant refrain of the Lone Piper.
There will be a an uphill walk from the coach to Edinburgh Castle, and the steep incline and cobbled street make this unsuitable for anyone with a walking difficulty. In addition there are steps to reach the seating areas, which are quite steeply tiered. Please do not book this tour if you are in any doubt about your ability to manage this.
Your Holiday Hotel
THE HALLMARK HOTEL
A short walk from the City Centre, this 4-star hotel has spacious, air-conditioned rooms with free Wi-Fi. There is a leisure club, with swimming pool, sauna and Jacuzzi. All bedrooms are served by a lift, and have tea/coffee making facilities.
- SUNDAY - We drive to the Scottish border at Gretna Green, calling in for a “wee dram” to set the scene for our Scottish adventure, and then continue through the Southern Uplands to Glasgow, where we will spend four nights at the Hallmark Hotel.
- MONDAY - The port city of Glasgow on the River Clyde is famed for its Victorian and art nouveau architecture, a rich legacy of the city’s 18th-20th century prosperity, derived from trade and shipbuilding. Either do your own thing, or join Paul on a tour of the “Second City of the Empire”, seeing George Square, St.Mungo’s Cathedral, the City Chambers, and visiting the world famous Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum.
- TUESDAY - Spend the morning in Glasgow, before leaving for Scotland’s capital city of Edinburgh. We will pause to view the iconic bridges on the River Forth, including the new Queensferry Crossing. Later, Paul will take you on a walking tour of the historic Grassmarket area to show you Greyfriars Kirkyard and tell the story of Greyfriars Bobby, the wee Skye terrier who faithfully guarded his master’s grave for 14 years! Later, take your seat for one of the greatest shows on earth. Please note that there is no dinner at the Hotel this evening.
- WEDNESDAY - We explore the Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park. with an included cruise on the Queen of Scottish lochs, immortalised by writers, poets and artists over the centuries. Later, we continue through the Trosssachs , the " Scottish Switzerland", and into Rob Roy country, before returning to Glasgow.
- THURSDAY - After breakfast your luggage will be loaded onto the coach and we will drive home, with lasting memories of the Military Tattoo and our time in Scotland.